Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Expectations...

so i've been thinking alot about expectations. mainly about whether or not a person should stay true to themselves or comply with other people's expectations of self. when given a choice of two paths, which should a person choose-the one that he/she feels would make them most happy, or the path that others think would be best for that person? so i pose that question to anyone out there who would like to respond...

and i can't help but think of the famous Robert Frost poem Road Not Taken. i think at the end of the day i would have rather taken that road less traveled.


TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,

And sorry I could not travel both

And be one traveler, long I stood

And looked down one as far as I could

To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,

And having perhaps the better claim,

Because it was grassy and wanted wear;

Though as for that the passing there

Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay

In leaves no step had trodden black.

Oh, I kept the first for another day!

Yet knowing how way leads on to way,

I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

4 comments:

The Road Runner said...

Just exactly which path is the one less traveled?

What a great poem. I think it tells us to not be common, but to do the most and the best we can with what we've got.

Just a thought...

KellyE said...

When all is said and done, you only get one life here, and you should be personally happy with it as much as possible. Doing the most and the best is a give & take with yourself. This is just what I think, but as long as you are not harming anyone else, your choices really are yours. Expectations aren't always that important if they aren't your own.

lilricky said...

I believe you need to be true to yourself, because in the end, that is who you have to face each and every day. Don't let anyone pull you away from what you feel is right. If you let others dicate your actions/inactions you lose what matters most, yourself.

kd said...

I think it depends on what kind of life is going to make you happy. Scripture also says to seek wisdom - and not happiness.