Sunday, April 22, 2007

Unfailing Love/ work convictions

i've been battling something this week that has torn my soul apart. i was purpously disrespected and a victim of a vindictive person at work which cost me 2 days worth of pay. i wont go into details here, but lets just say what happened angered and upset me a great deal and questioned my willingness to stay at the job any longer much less deal with the person who hurt me. i've been wanting to leave this job anyway for quite some time due to some morally questionable things going on there, thus the schooling to change my career, but this week was the breaking point.

i spoke about this to a few people who all agreed that i shouldnt leave my current job until i secured another. this is just common sense. but my spirit was in such termoil that the thought of stepping one more foot into that office next week just sent nausia sweeping through my body.

well, God has an amazing way of turning our thoughts to His way even when our flesh fights against it. i left for church this morning in a bad mood, thinking about my delimma. i got to church and was just blown away by the praise and worship, and also some things in the sermon. especially through the praise and worship session i felt like God was pointing at me and saying "I'm talking to YOU!" :)

so this is what he told me... i am to pray for my enemies. i am to love others as He does. I am to be a witness for Him in a dark and dreary world. He has everything in controll. as long as I do what He asks of me then I have nothing to worry about-I need to just go to work and do the best I can there and He will take care of the rest. the hardest part in all this is the first one:pray for our enemies. but you know what, there is great freedom in that.

there is a song by Hillsongs that we sing at our church called Unfailing Love. we sang it today, and the words hit right towards my soul totally describing my week with God-i had a darkness, the memories of what happened consumed my thoughts and i wouldnt allow a place for God because His way isnt my way. but Jesus did come and now I'm feeling much better.

Unfailing Love
when the darkness fills my senses
when my blindness keeps me from your touch
Jesus come
When my burden keeps me doubting
when my memories take the place of you
Jesus come
And I'll follow you there to the place where we meet
and I'll lay down my pride as you search me again
Your unfailing love, your unfailing love,your unfailing love over me again

at the end of the sermon today was this verse from Ephesians 1:2 which also fit my delimma..how did God know I needed to hear all this?? duh, he's God! :)
2Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love.

3 comments:

kd said...

funny how he knows stuff like that, huh?

Anonymous said...

Hey Lani,

I'm glad you've found a good mindset to deal with your work problem. There's only so much you can do with some people, and worrying is definitely pointless!

However, please make sure you're defending yourself or, if necessary, reporting this person to your HR department / supervisor. I don't know what's going on, but please make sure you're not just suffering in silence if the behavior is illegal or outside your employee handbook. I've been in some unpleasant situations at work myself, and you need to be vigilant in keeping track of what happened and when, or it can often just escalate.

Also, sympathy and forgiveness are admirable, but if you are being forced to leave your job over someone else's behavior, make sure you're getting compensation or help in resolving the situation to YOUR satisfaction. Being forced to quit your job as a result of someone else's unchecked behavior is workplace discrimination, and it's illegal!

I apologize if any of this is out of order, because I don't know the details of your problems, but I just wanted to make sure that you're not selling yourself short.

When you need to confront this person, stock up on your positive persona by watching some empowering movies that make you feel happy and "yourself"! When I was dealing with rough times at work (in UK) I watched key parts of Erin Brokovitch, American Beauty, and Back to the Future before all my tough negotiations. :) Good luck!

The Road Runner said...

I've worked for sole proprietors that are headstrong and unreasonable before. Not fun for me or my spouse. The worst part is that there is no-one in the company you can turn to for help, so it seems. There's no employee handbook or even a standardized set of rules. I don't even work there, but I see the rules changing all the time.

All this becomes more complicated in a right-to-work state, where an employer can essentially tell you to quit coming to work at a moment's notice.

This recent event is at the bottom of a long list of questionable and unethical behavior, but now it's affecting our family's finances.

I will take my business elsewhere as soon Lani leaves, and I will encourage my coworkers and others I meet to do the same, when I'm asked. Sadly, I worked for one of the companies that made hers so profitable. All of this is a rotten shame, thanks to this one person's childish and non-communicative (and frequently not-quite-legal) behavior.